Rande S. Sotomayor is a mediator, conflict resolution consultant, attorney, and arbitrator with over 30 years of civil litigation, business, and dispute resolution experience. She takes a down-to-earth, common-sense approach to helping people solve problems and conflicts. Tenacious, intuitive, and with exceptional ability to perceive and manage the emotional component of any conflict, Rande’s approach delivers consistently excellent results and early dispute resolution.
With significant trial, arbitration, and appellate experience, Rande has helped parties resolve hundreds of disputes, either as mediator or arbitrator, in cases involving the following subjects:
|Land use||Bad Faith||Consumer|
|Premises liability||Partnerships||Unfair trade practices|
|Homeowners associations||Disability||Third party coverage|
|Eminent domain||ERISA benefits||Professional liability|
|International/Cross-cultural||Public law||Family dynamics|
LEGAL AND ADR EXPERIENCE
|2016, 2017||Professional mediator/judge for the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) International Commercial Mediation Competition in Paris, France|
|1999 – Present||Mediator and Arbitrator (over 200 hours of continuing mediation and arbitration education and training)|
|2010 – Present||Principal, Sotomayor Law – Mediator, Conflict Resolution Consultant, Attorney, Arbitrator|
|2015 – Present||Panel Mediator, California Association of Realtors, Mediation Center for Consumers|
|2014 – Present||Panel Mediator, California Associations Institute – Greater Los Angeles Chapter|
|2013 – Present||Panel Mediator, U.S. District Court for the Central District of California|
|2004 – Present||Mediator and Arbitrator, Los Angeles County Superior Court|
|2008 – 2010||Burke, Williams & Sorensen, LLP (following merger with Bannan, Frank & Terzian) – Partner in 85 – attorney business and litigation law firm|
|1996 – 2008||Bannan, Frank & Terzian, LLP – Of Counsel and Partner in 12 – attorney litigation law firm|
|1983 – 1996||Adams, Duque & Hazeltine – Associate and Of Counsel in 100 – attorney business and litigation law firm|
1983 – J.D., Washington University in St. Louis; Notes and Comments Editor, Washington University Law Quarterly
1980 – B.A., Duke University, Magna Cum Laude
PROFESSIONAL AND CHARITABLE ASSOCIATIONS
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Pasadena Bar Association, American Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section, Southern California Mediation Association, Community Associations Institute Greater Los Angeles Chapter, The Esquire Network, IVAMS Arbitration and Mediation Services, Pasadena Chamber of Commerce. Board Member, San Gabriel Chamber of Commerce. Board Member, Pasadena Senior Center. Past President, National Charity League, Pasadena Chapter.
“Effective Mediation Briefs,” California Lawyer, August 2014
“Practical Advice for Getting Results in Business Mediation,” Big News for Solo & Small Firms (CA State Bar), Summer 2014
- “THEORY of MED-ARB & ARB-MED: Why? Where? When?” International panel presentation as part of program entitled “MED-ARB/ARB-MED: MAKING DISPUTE RESOLUTION FASTER, CHEAPER, BETTER,” at the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), Toronto Chapter’s Fall 2016 Symposium.
- Navigating Family and Divorce Issues in Psychotherapy, 2016. Panel presentation for marriage and family therapists to better understand their clients’ experiences facing divorce, other family conflicts, mediation, legal processes, financial issues, and obstacles to decision-making. California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, San Gabriel Valley Chapter.
- Resolution – What Happens When A Family Decides to Dissolve? – Guest Lecturer for course in Divorce at California State University, Los Angeles, 2016.
- How to Succeed in Mediation, 2016. Presented MCLE program addressing issues including when to mediate, choosing a mediator, preparing for mediation, mediation confidentiality, joint sessions, dealing with unrepresented parties, mediator’s proposals, and handling negotiations when cases do not resolve in mediation.
- Elder Care Planning Community Seminar, Arcadia, CA, 2016. Contributed discussion about mediation for families confronting conflict on issues of elder care, estate planning, and distribution of assets under wills and trusts.
- Keeping Negotiations on Track – How to Manage Conflicts before Claims Arise, for Real Estate Professionals, 2015. Presented program on negotiating techniques to de-escalate conflict and create win-win deals; dealing with difficult personalities; handling emotions in negotiation; techniques to save a deal and lead to more referrals.
- Mediation Basics, 2015. Presenter & Moderator, San Gabriel Chamber of Commerce Legal Education Forum.
- Mediation Q & A, 2014. Presenter, San Gabriel Chamber of Commerce Legal Education Forum.
- Negotiation Tactics: “Puffing” vs. Misrepresentation in Mediation, 2014. Presenter, The Esquire Network – Downtown Litigators.
- What Is Mediation?, Presenter, West Los Angeles Chamber Legal Education Panel, 2014.